Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions of Use
All contents, design, materials and information (""Content"") posted on the Engine Manufacturers Association Web site are the property of EMA, or licensed from third parties, whether or not a copyright notice appears on the screen displaying the information. Users of the EMA Web site may save and use information contained therein only for personal use. No other use, including downloading, reproducing, retransmitting or editing, all or any portion of the Content posted on EMA's Web site may be made without the prior written permission of EMA, which may be requested by contacting EMA's headquarters.
The names, trademarks, service marks and logos of EMA may not be used in any manner without EMA's prior written consent, whether or not a notice of trademark or other proprietary right appears on the screen displaying the information.
Links to Third-Party Sites
Links or pointers on EMA's Web site to other Internet sites are provided as a courtesy only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by EMA of the site, the individual or organization sponsoring the site, or of any product, service or organization referenced on the site. Linked sites (those sites with an address that does not contain ""enginemanufacturers.org"") are not under the control of EMA, and EMA is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or of any link contained within a linked site, or for any changes or updates to such sites.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall EMA or any of its affiliates, or the officers, directors, employees, members, or agents of each of them, be liable for any damages of any kind, including without limitation any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages, whether or not advised of the possibility of such damages, and on any theory of liability whatsoever, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of EMA's Web site or any RSS feeds or other Content appearing on the site.
EMA is providing information and services on this Web site as a benefit and service in furtherance of EMA's non-profit and tax-exempt status. The site and the Content are provided ""as is,"" and EMA makes no warranty, guarantee, or representation as to the accuracy or sufficiency of the Content posted on the Web site, and EMA assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use or misuse of such Content. EMA makes no representations about the suitability of the Content and these services for any purpose. Unless specifically stated otherwise, EMA does not endorse, approve, recommend, or certify any information, product, process, service or organization presented or mentioned on the EMA Web site, and Content from the Web site should not be referenced in any way to imply such approval or endorsement. EMA makes no warranty that its Web site, or the server that makes it available, is free from errors, viruses, or other elements or codes that manifest contaminating or destructive properties. EMA expressly disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or other damages arising out of any individual's use of, reference to, reliance on, or inability to use, the EMA Web site or the Content presented on the site.
User Conduct Rules
In order to keep EMA's Web site attractive and useful for all users, EMA requires that all users adhere to the following rules:
1. Respect other visitors to this site. Users are expected to exercise both common sense and courtesy in the messages they transmit from this site. Do not do anything to injure or harm others. Defamatory, obscene, and other offensive communications are not acceptable forms of communication over this site and could lead to liability for those engaging in such improper communication.
2. Do not use EMA's Web site or its Content to conduct activities that may be illegal. EMA's Web site may not be used for purposes of, or to encourage anything to do with, illegal drugs, gambling, pornography, prostitution, child pornography, robbery, spreading computer viruses, cracking into private computer forums, software infringement, trafficking in credit card codes, or other crimes.
3. Do not post or transmit any material that contains any viruses, web crawlers, malware, or other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere with, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information.
4. Do not use EMA's Web site to defame or disparage any members of EMA or any other persons and do not post or transmit information which is invasive of another's privacy, publicity or other rights.
5. Do not post or transmit any advertisements, solicitations, or other unsolicited commercial communication.
6. Do not use EMA's Web site to communicate with competitors about prices or terms of service or otherwise communicate in a way that may provide the basis for an inference that users agreed to take any action relating to prices, services, production, allocation of markets or any other matter having a market effect. Be sensitive to other matters that may raise particular antitrust concern including membership restrictions, codes of ethics, fees, billing practices, product standardization or certification. The same rules against illegal agreements in restraint of trade which apply at members' meetings apply to communications on this site.
7. Do not upload or distribute files subject to trademark, copyright, or other proprietary rights except with the express consent of the owner of the rights.
8. Respect the security of this Web site. Do not attempt to gain access to areas private to EMA or its members.
9. Do not impose an unreasonably or disproportionately large load on the Site or otherwise interfere with or inhibit any other user of this Site from using or enjoying the Site.
10. This site may not be used in a manner that violates the bylaws or any other policies, procedures, rules or regulations of EMA.
11. Information posted on this site will not be treated as confidential. In fact, since this site's communications may be downloaded without the knowledge of the sender(s), users should use care when posting or sending communications. By posting information or materials to the Site, users agree that any such information or materials may be used freely by EMA in any manner it sees fit.
12. EMA reserves the right to modify or change the terms and rules for use of its site as it determines from time-to-time in the best interests of EMA. Use of the EMA Web site constitutes the user's continuing agreement to be bound by these terms and rules, as they are amended from time to time.
The Web Site Term & Conditions of Use and User Conduct Rules posted on this site were updated on or about July 1, 2009.
If you have any questions regarding the Site or these Terms, please contact EMA at
333 West Wacker Drive ▪ Suite 810
Chicago ▪ Illinois ▪ 60606
Main Telephone: (312) 929-1970
Fax: (312) 929-1975
""Anonymous"" information collected on-line
Generally speaking, you can visit the EMA web site without revealing any personal information about yourself. We do use a third party service to record all server activity which means that every page, image, or other type of file requested by your browser is written into a log file. Each entry in the log contains, among other things, information about the computer you are using to connect to the Internet (its ""IP address"") and about your browser. It does not, however, tell us anything about you personally. We use aggregate data from the web logs to determine how the web site's resources are being used and to refine its navigational structure. If the need arises, we may use the logs to trace the source of abusive or illicit activity. We do not share our web logs with any outside party.
EMA reserves the right to perform statistical analyses of user behavior and characteristics in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the site and to inform advertisers of such information as well as the number of users that have been exposed to or clicked on any advertising appearing on the site. EMA will provide only aggregated data from these analyses to third parties.
We will collect personally identifiable information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, employer's name, address, telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address. EMA may use and store such information in order to notify you of official EMA business, provide a product or service you requested, secure your membership status, evaluate member and prospective member needs and interests, and alert you of EMA news, activities, services and benefits. Personally identifiable information may be given to a third party in order to complete a specific business transaction on behalf of EMA. Contact information from inquiries received by EMA may be shared with EMA members to provide a service, satisfy a question, or develop a prospective business relationship.
Several areas of the EMA web site require that you send us personal information including but not limited to:
- Event registrations
- Online Member Contact Information and Update Areas
This information may also be received by mail, fax or telephone. EMA uses the demographic and professional information collected for aggregate analysis, to personalize aggregate member records for better service, and to create targeted mailing lists.
In addition to the primary purpose stated or implied at the time the information is collected, we may use your fax number, email and/or postage mailing address to send you information about EMA programs or products, surveys, etc. If you supply an e-mail address, we use it to confirm your order, provide requested information, and otherwise respond to your communication. We may also use it to keep you informed about EMA programs, events and news. We also may use your e-mail address for a purpose indirectly related to the original context (e.g., e-mailing a member satisfaction survey).
Online registration and information such as credit card numbers will be secured using a commercially accepted method of encryption. However, while we employ reasonable security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information sent over our Web site, please be aware that no method of electronic transmission is completely infallible, and we cannot guarantee its absolute safety.
Because of the special relationship we seek to maintain with our members, EMA sends periodic updates and announcements by e-mail. We may also make an occasional phone call (e.g., to clear up a problem or inquire about membership status).
Restricted-access web pages
The Members Only section of this web site is restricted to EMA members and participants in specific programs. These areas require users to log in, usually by supplying a username and password. This login information is not collected or tracked; it is used solely to verify that a person is authorized to use a particular resource.
A ""cookie"" is a text file, stored on your computer, which includes information that identifies that computer and can be retrieved by our server to create a seamless browsing session. Most cookies used on the EMA site are deleted when your browser is shut down or in a fixed amount of time, whichever occurs sooner. Members Only pages and other restricted areas use this type of cookie.
Several areas of the EMA web site may use so-called ""persistent"" cookies. These files are retained on the user's hard drive after the browser is shut down. For example, most browsers accept cookies by default. If you set your browser to reject all cookies, these areas and others may not function properly. Most browsers have a setting whereby the browser alerts you when a server attempts to place a cookie on your hard drive. You are then given the option of accepting or rejecting it.
Material submitted online
Some areas of the EMA web site may allow you to submit questions or express your opinions. All submissions become the property of EMA and may be used by EMA in its sole discretion. Do not give out more information than what you would like everyone to know.
Links to other web sites
EMA does not market its products or services to children. We do not knowingly collect information from Web site users under 18 years of age.
Updating personal information
At any time you may contact EMA by contacting us via e-mail, phone or fax to review, correct, or update your personally identifiable information, and to opt-in to, or opt-out of any service. We will provide opt-in and opt-out opportunities as applicable to the service or product being offered.